Principles and Maintenance of Electrical Switchgear
Date(s) - 26/12/2022 - 28/12/2022( 8:00 am - 5:00 pm )
Location: Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
This training course will present a comprehensive capsule of all the knowledge essential for the medium voltage and high voltage switchgear operations and walk the participants through the switchgear design process using a set of interlinked case studies. The training course focuses mainly on the operation and maintenance of distribution equipment namely transformers, circuit breakers, contactors, isolators, and disconnectors (this will also include the auxiliary peripherals and control circuits). Medium and high voltage switchgear is the integral component of any electrical distribution system; hence, the selection and installation of this switchgear are vital so as to provide protection and safe distribution of electrical power. The equipment needs to be operated in a safe manner securing continuity of supply to consumers.
- Understand the role and importance of switchgears
- Determine the components and operations of medium voltage circuit breakers
- Explain the different types of maintenance and testing for switchgears
- Analyze the common faults and short circuit current
- Design and components of high voltage transformers
Who Should Attend?
- Electrical supervisors
- Plant electricians
- Operations & maintenance engineers, supervisors & technicians
- Maintenance technicians
The Role and Importance of the Switchgear in Power Systems
- Circuit breakers, auto reclosers, disconnectors and sectionalisers operations
- Earth switches construction and applications
- Switchgear symbols on single-line diagrams
- Substation switchgear layouts
- Types of current situation
- Fault clearing process
Sulphur HexaFlouride (SF6) and Vacuum Circuit Breakers
- Compression principles
- SF6 hazards and test equipment
- Dead and Live tank HV circuit breakers
- Operation mechanisms of HV circuit breakers
- Vacuum interrupters operation and maintenance
- Automated circuit breaker monitoring
Maintenance and Testing of Switchgears
- Manufacturer testing
- Installation and commissioning
- Documentation requirements
- Importance of maintenance & testing
- Maintenance strategies
- Infrared testing
Short Circuit Currents and Calculations and Working Safely
- Introduction to types of relay
- Relay selection, basic concepts and characteristics
- Types of distress and protection modes
- Introduction to safety in HV Substations
- Switchgear numbering and nomenclature
- Switchgear mechanical and electrical interlocking
- HV current transformers construction, operation and maintenance
- HV potential transformers features and operation
- Power transformer construction and operation
- Buchholz relay, pressure relief device
- Protective relay, conservator and breather operating principles
- Maintenance of power transformers
- Case Studies.
- Individual and group discussions and exercises.
- Intensive training by using templates, diagrams, and charts.
- Planning activities and presentations.
- Action plan.
Log in if you already have an account with us.